Each year, World Wetlands Day is observed on February 2nd in an effort to raise awareness of wetland conservation. Today is also the anniversary of the Convention on Wetlands, which was adopted as an international treaty in 1971.
This year’s celebration of World Wetlands Day in 2022 is especially exciting because of the adoption by the UN General Assembly of Resolution 75/317 that established February 2nd as World Wetlands Day!
Why World Wetlands Day?
Since the 1700s wetland ecosystems around the world have been disappearing. We are losing wetlands three times faster than our forests. Saving our wetlands is critically important in order to prevent any further disruption to ecosystems that contribute to biodiversity, climate mitigation and adaptation, freshwater availability, world economies and more.
What You Can Do To Help
As a collective, we can spread awareness and share the importance of wetlands. Here are some easy steps you can take in support of this cause:
- Learn more about the World Wetlands Day Initiative
- Download and share World Wetlands Day social media posts, infographics, videos, and more
- Attend a World Wetlands Day event virtually or near you
- Stay Informed by reading statements and stories from various organizations on their WWD actions
- Make a pledge to save our wetlands!