The Society of Wetland Scientists is a non-profit organization founded in 1980 to promote wetland science and the exchange of information related to wetlands.
The objectives of the Society are:
- to operate solely and exclusively as a charitable and educational organization to foster conservation and understanding of wetlands,
- to advance public education and enlightenment concerning the Nation's wetland resources,
- to provide an independent forum for an interchange of ideas and data developed within wetland science,
- to develop and encourage wetland science as a distinct discipline by supporting student education, curriculum development, and research,
- to encourage and evaluate the educational, scientific, and technological development and advancement of all branches of wetland science and practice, and
- to encourage the knowledgeable management of wetland resources.
The Society continues to grow and has over 2500 members from the U.S., Canada, Mexico and many other countries. The Society holds an annual meeting for the presentation of scientific and technical information and maintains numerous other programs in support of student research and wetland science.
Membership in the SWS includes:
- Electronic access to the Wetlands journal
- Quarterly printed issues of Wetland Science and Practice
- Electronic access to Wetlands Ecology and Management
- SWS monthly e-newsletter
- Participation in regional chapter and section activities and benefits
- Regional chapter newsletters
- Discounted registration at the annual conference
- Voting privileges
Annual Membership Dues
|Active (by annual income) <$40,000USD||$75|
|Active $40,000USD - $60,000USD||$85|
|Active (Developing Country)1||$25|
|Student||$25 (include photocopy of ID)|
|Lifetime||$1500 (1 payment)|
|Lifetime||$375 (4 payments)|
1See list of qualifying countries. Members from developing countries making over $40,000 (US) per year should use the dues structure for developed countries.
Electronic access to the SWS journal Wetlands and Wetlands Ecology and Management is included in your membership at no cost. A print copy of Wetlands is available for $30 annually.
You can now join or renew online!
Remember that SWS membership is for the calendar year. If you join after OCT 1st, your membership will be for the next calendar year.
There are now 2 ways for new members to join the SWS or for current members to renew your membership.
1) Online membership forms (New members and renewals).
CLICK HERE TO JOIN OR RENEW ONLINE (secure server!)
2) Download the PDF application form, fill it out, print it and mail it to the secretariat.
Instructions for downloading and filling out the SWS membership application:
- Download the SWS membership application below. This is a PDF file and requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the form, fill it out, and print it. Click here if you have no idea what I am talking about and/or you need some more information on Adobe Acrobat.
- Open the membership application in Acrobat Reader.
- Fill out the application. You will need one of the latest versions of Acrobat to do this. If you are using the Acrobat Plugin, you should be able to fill out the form within in the browser.
- Print it. (sign it if necessary)
- Mail it to the address at the top of the application (don't forget your money!). If paying by check, make check payable to "The Society of Wetland Scientists".
Gratis Membership Awards
You can apply for a SWS Gratis Membership Award. Gratis Memberships are funded by SWS and awarded to individuals from developing countries on a competitive basis. See list here. Awards provide two consecutive years of membership, and can be renewed by resubmitting an application. Typically applications will be reviewed in January of each year and awarded no later than March 15th. Note that individuals are limited to two, 2-yr terms (which do NOT have to be used in consecutive terms).